Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

Turning "18"

So yeah, as the title suggests. I will be turning eighteen in less than two weeks, it's happening! But you know what, all I gotta say about it is...IT'S SO DARN OVER-RATED!!
I feel like the person I'll wake up to be Friday the 9th is exactly the same that will go to bed the preceding Thursday...I have nothing to look forward to about it, maybe with the exception of changing my Facebook privacy settings to resemble their current status, and decorating a cake with pink frosting. I feel like being a legal adult is an event so popularized by the media that it has turned into just being an over-18 person! It's not like on the previously mentioned Thursday I won't be mature enough to watch an R-rated movie that on Friday I will! Or maybe that I'll take my allowance from dad for the next week and a half but on Friday I'll just go find a job!

Then comes the part which I think of the most, the accountability for my actions. I'm a fairly responsible person, in fact I get mistaken for being in my mid-twenties because I act so poised (which is so not true!) It just bugs me that making mistakes before hitting this "milestone" will account to my parents, but right after...I'm on my own. It just seems not right. Any misconduct coming from 'me' is supposed to be 'my' fault however old or young I am, I can't just keep being treated like a baby and then boom, I'm caught off-guard into being my own person. It's quite contradictory to basic logic.

It's ridiculous, I could think of a million things wrong with just assuming that by eighteen a person will be an adult. There need to be tests to confirm these things, people! I mights as well just call mom and dad by their first names, since we'll all be "adults" now.

 I may or may not be into my sane mind right now, but I just hope this thing will be over soon, the "transition" I mean. Turning 18 might mean something more than just it being legal to marry me off, or being able to purchase alcohol. It might as well be a reminder to me that I'm not getting any younger, that it's about time I have known my responsibilities  and planned for my future. Crap, I don't even know from where all this lofty talking is coming. I just know that on November 9th, I'll be 18 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?